Recent Publications & Ongoing Research Projects
Ongoing Research Projects
- Incidence of Urinary Retention Post Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair. A long term Follow-up of Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair Looking at Pain, Return to Physical Activity, Return to Work, Rate of recurrence.
- A Prospective Multicenter Post Market Study to Evaluate and Compare the Clinical Outcomes, Pain and Patient Quality of Life after Open, Laparoscopic or Robotic Assisted Hernia (Incisional and Inguinal) Repair (OPEN)
- Clinical outcomes of concurrent robotic inguinal hernia repair, performed at the time of robotic prostatectomy.
Laparoscopic Total Extraperitoneal Hernia Repair Outcomes
Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
Dr. Reiner’s Curriculum Vitae
Background and Objectives:
Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair has become increasingly popular as an alternative to open surgery. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of the laparoscopic total extraperitoneal procedure with the use of staple fixation and polypropylene mesh.
A retrospective chart review examined outcomes of 1240 laparoscopic hernia operations in 783 patients, focusing on intraoperative and early postoperative complications, pain, and time until return to work and normal physical activities.
There were no intraoperative complications in this series; 106 patients experienced early postoperative complications across 8 evaluated categories: urinary retention (4.1%), seroma (3.0%), testicular/hemiscrotal swelling (1.9%), testicular atrophy (0%), hydrocele (0.6%), mesh infection (0.1%), and neurological symptoms (transient, 1.0%; persistent, 0.2%). Patients used an average of 5.6 Percocet pills after the procedure, and mean times until return to work and normal activities, including their routine exercise regimen, were 3.0 and 3.8 days, respectively.
Complication rates and convalescence times were considered equivalent or superior to those found in other studies assessing both laparoscopic and open techniques. The usage of multiple Endostaples did not result in increased neurologic complications in the early postoperative period when compared with findings in the literature. In the hands of an experienced surgeon, total extraperitoneal repair is a safe, effective alternative to open inguinal hernia repair.
- Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctor 2021 Feb 01, 2021 (/product/205373)
- America’s Top Doctors 2021 Feb 01, 2021 (/product/205374)
- New York Metro Area’s Top Doctors 2021 Feb 01, 2021 (/product/205376)
- America’s Top Doctors 2020 Feb 01, 2020 (/product/203304)
- New York Metro Area’s Top Doctors 2020 Feb 01, 2020 (/product/203306)
- America’s Top Doctors 2019 Feb 01, 2019 (/product/201517)
- New York Metro Area’s Top Doctors 2019 Feb 01, 2019 (/product/201519)
- New York Magazine Top Doctors Jun 01, 2018 (/product/193920)
- New York Metro Top Doctors 20th Anniversary Apr 01, 2018 (/product/193810)
- New York Metro Area’s Top Doctors 2018 Feb 01, 2018 (/product/193383)
- America’s Top Doctors 2018 Feb 01, 2018 (/product/193384)
- America’s Top Doctors 15th Anniversary Apr 01, 2017 (/product/191081)
- America’s Top Doctors 2017 Jan 01, 2017 (/product/190753)
- Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctor 2017 Jan 01, 2017 (/product/190763)
- New York Metro Area’s Top Doctors 2017 Jan 01, 2017 (/product/190764)
- New York Metro Area’s Top Doctors 2016 Feb 01, 2016 (/product/187906)
- America’s Top Doctors 2016 Jan 01, 2016 (/product/187905)
- New York Metro Area’s Top Doctors Feb 01, 2015 (/product/185065)
- America’s Top Doctors Dec 01, 2014 (/product/184858)
- New York Metro Area’s Top Doctors Feb 01, 2014 (/product/167553)
- America’s Top Doctors Dec 01, 2013 (/product/164336)
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor 2013 Apr 01, 2013 (/product/154574)
- New York Metro Area’s Top Doctors 16th Edition Feb 01, 2013 (/product/152489)
- Top Doctors in New York Magazine May 01, 2010 (/product/105914)
- Top Doctors in New York Feb 05, 2009 (/product/96195)
- New York Magazine (2008) May 28, 2008 (/product/86087)
- New York Magazine (2007) Jun 01, 2007 (/product/63003)
- New York Magazine (2006) Jun 06, 2006 (/product/35267)
- New York Magazine (2005) May 17, 2005 (/product/21291)
- New York Magazine (2004) Jun 01, 2004 (/product/12139)
- New York Magazine (2003) Apr 01, 2003 (/product/1986)